Thoughts of 15 Year Old on Poverty While Being Poor

My childhood friend, Katrina, texted me an image of a letter I wrote her when I was 15 years old. At that point in my life, I was living with my mom on and off, spending most of my days (and incidentally nights) at a friend's house. We were dirt poor with a roach infested house, a bathroom covered in mildew stains, and  a living room missing one of the walls (read: full testimony). I prefaced the letter with my thoughts on poverty and I would like to share them with you:

Dear Katrina,

I have come to the realization that life isn't always fair. It gives more to the rich and less to the poor. And no matter how much you try, no matter how hard you try, if you start at the bottom life will try its best to keep you there. Unfortunately, if you start out on top then life will try its best to raise you higher...

My best guess is that I was jaded at the fact I could see people who in my mind didn't deserve to have the money they had when there was so much suffering going on around them. Mostly celebrities who lived outlandish lifestyles & so forth. I was young & naive.

Over the last 15 years, my perspective has changed. I no  longer question other's wealth, but instead look at what I have and am responsible for. God is just and will judge them each according to their own needs & resources on how well they distributed it. Likewise, I will be judged on what I spent my time and resources on.

Furthermore, there is no reason to feel guilty for having riches. In fact, God made several people rich through out scripture (i.e. Abraham, Solomon, & Job). As a father myself, I want my children to have things and often buy them gifts as an expression of that love. Gifts from God may also take the form of material possessions or in the abstract things like a cool breeze on an otherwise hot day. Just know that every good and perfect gift comes Him.

Do you think that my 15 year old self was on target with defining poverty?

0 comments: