New Covenant Understanding

I am trying to wrap my head around the Covenant and I think that God has given me something to chew on for a bit and I would like to share it with you reader.  In Jeremiah 31, we see that God intends on creating a new Covenant:

"Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, "Know the Lord," for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more."

Yet, on the other hand, Christ says that He never intended to abolish the Covenant in Matthew 5. Instead, God's purpose was to fulfill it:

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

So which is it? Throw out the Covenant and Law or keep it? It occurred to me that perhaps it isn't the Covenant that is changing, but our perspective of it. To illustrate this truth, I have captured a picture of my 2 year old's slide:


So what does that have to do with anything? Well, to my two year old, this is not the picture of the side of his favorite slide. But rather, it is the face of a scary monster, wherein the scoreboards are eyes, and the green joint is a scary mouth with teeth. (Look again: do you see what he sees?)

The reality for him is a very real and very scary truth: this is the face of  a monster. Now, let's fast forward 5 years from now. In the year 2018, when my now 7 year old looks at this picture, what do you think he will see? Probably just a couple of score boards and a green joint. 

What changed? Well, the slide never changed, but in fact, it was the exposure to truth and intent that changed. When Hendrix realizes the scoreboards were never intended to be eyes, his perspective of the situation will radically change the fear that seizes him. Likewise, the truth about the intent of the Law and the Covenant will change when we realize the purpose behind it. Jesus put it this way:

  • Instead of don't murder (Ex. 20:13), Christ says do not hold anger or resentment (Matt. 5:21)
  • Instead of don't commit adultery (Ex. 20:14), Christ says not to lust (Matt. 5:22)
  • Instead of an eye for an eye (Ex. 21:24), Christ says you should forgive (Matt. 5:38)


In other words, Christ never intended to throw out the laws, but rather change our perspective of them. They were never meant to be scary faces on the side of slide, but rather a scoreboard of joy in serving the Creator. 

2 comments:

  1. Cool thought. And I remember being a little kid, the strange things I would see in wallpaper patterns and such.

    My perspective is that the Old Covenant was a promise that God would give the New Covenant. As your other posts are exploring, the Law and Temple were full of foreshadowings of Christ. So the New Covenant in Christ is the fulfillment of the Old, much the same way a marriage is the fulfillment of an engagement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard "marriage is the fulfillment of an engagement" - absolutely beautiful analogy!

      Delete