Yes Wife

Yes ManMy wife rented "Yes Man" (starring Jim Carrey) the other night.  Carrey plays a loan officer named Carl whose wife has left him alone in his dismal, mopey world of avoiding friends and renting movies.  It has been 3 years since the divorce when the movie starts.  Carl runs into an old friend whose attended an uncanny self-help seminar that encourages participants to say "yes" to every opportunity that comes their way.  Accepting the challenge, Carl finds himself with a fresh view on life and new adventures that eventually leads him down the path of finding love.

This post, however, is not about saying "yes" to every opportunity. This is about saying "yes" to my wife and eventually God. I decided that after watching the movie, I would say "yes" to everything my wife asked me to do.  Admittedly, I have had to catch and remind myself several times that I made a commitment to agree to do everything she asks.

So, what's the point?

The point is this is an act of faith that will hopefully bring me closer to God.  By agreeing to everything she asks, I am stepping out on a limb and trusting that my wife is asking me to do something because:

  • She needs my help

  • She has my best interest in mind

  • She loves me and thinks I am capable of doing what she asks

  • She's being lazy, but I agreed to serve her regardless

I find this new adventure in servant hood to have an interesting parallel in my relationship with God the Father.  The reason we don't say "yes" to everything He asks us to do is because deep down inside we don't trust Him.  We think to ourselves that God doesn't really have our best interests in mind. Either that is the case or we are clearly insane. I want to come to that point in my relationship with Him that whenever He asks me to do something, my natural response is to say "Yes" and do it.

3 comments:

  1. On a separate note, do you want to get together to do anything this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember that according to the movie you don't stay at the point of saying yes to everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Jedi wave of hand*

    Update your blog!

    *Jedi wave of hand*

    :)

    ReplyDelete