Apostle's Creed

This creed’s name is derived from the division of 12 statements. Traditionally, each statement is associated with one of the 12 disciples.  There is no biblical basis for this, but that it is the story that has been passed down. Perhaps I am too post-modern, but I am apathetic about the origins of the name. However, I was a fan of Rich Mullins and now I understand where he was coming from:

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of the heavens and earth;
And in Jesus Christ, the only Son, Our Lord;
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary;
He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead and buried;
He descended into hell; On the third day he was raised from the dead;
He ascended into the heavens, and sits at the right hand of God the Father almighty;
From where he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit;
In the holy catholic church;
The forgiveness of sins;
And resurrection of the flesh
And eternal life.

I get a little excited reading through it. It is almost like a checklist of major Christian beliefs. I think that an essential list of beliefs help us a Christians relate to one another.  What do you think? Is this a summary of Christian beliefs?  Can a Christian disagree with any of these and still be considered a Christian?
 
Reader, if you are a protestant and are reading this for the first time, let me explain the line about the catholic church. This is not referring to the Catholic church down the road that celebrates mass. Rather, it is referring to the original meaning of the word which meant “one unified church”. Before the world of denominations , all Christians were considered to be a part of the same “church” regardless of whether you lived in Africa or Italy.

2 comments:

  1. Pondering over 1 Corinthians 8, it is hard for me to use all the points of the creed as an essential list. I do agree with everything on the list. If someone does not agree with everything on the list, its usually due to lack of study or doubts the inspiration of scripture, right?

    BTW, Rich Mullins is inspiring and amazing. I wish he was still around producing music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @James - I remember when Rich Mullins passed away. CCM did an article over him. I think that was the first time I genuinely cried over someone's death that I didn't know IRL, but felt like I had known for many years.

    ReplyDelete