Constantine Too Human

I watched Constantine for the first time last night. I know, I know…I am little behind on watching movies. I am not a movie person, unless it is something I am certain I will enjoy.  I have been using my Netflix account to catch up on movies that I have missed over the years and Constantine happens to be one of them.

The entire time I was watching the movie, I kept thinking to myself that the producers/directors/actors were just being “too human” about their approach to theology. Think about it: humans crave what they can not have. God has already put into place a gloriously beautiful story where in man falls, God’s wrath & justice are tempered by mercy through Christ’s atoning sacrifice on the cross. God loves His creation so much that He chooses to become a mortal, dwell with us as the incarnate Christ, and suffers on the cross for the sins we commit.  And if the story could not get any better, Christ imparts the Holy Spirit to empower us with supernatural gifts of healing, prophecy, and so forth. The story is EPIC!

But not epic enough, at least not for the Constantine story line. Now we have angels & demons, and everything in between, fighting for the control over the separate “planes of existence”, crossing boundaries and filling the consumer with hogwash theology with a tinge of Catholic influences. Constantine is not the first and certainly will not be the last. It just amazes me that the story we have is not enough!

Note: I use the word “story” lightly, because it is more than a fairy tale for me. I believe the “story” of Christ to the point I am willing to stake my life on it. 

0 comments: