Visiting My Sister

In a couple of weeks, I am going to visit my sister. So what makes this visitation blog worthy? Well, I have only seen my sister 4 times in the past 13 years! 

Brittney was born the winter term of my senior of high school in 1996. I spent the next 8 months loving her as best as I knew how. I took her to church, showed her off every chance I got, and helped out with taking care of her when I could. She was my brand new little sister and I knew that I would not be there for Brittney while she grew up in the turmoil.

I left for college in August of 1997 with no intentions of returning to our hometown. My mother was (and still is) an alcoholic and my father died when I was 7 years old (see my testimony for more about that). There was not a lot going for me and felt strongly that God wanted me to get my college degree. At college, I met my wife, had 3 children, and matured in an environment that was filled with love and support. I met lifelong friends that were there for me every step of the way. All the while, I often thought of what my sister would go through in the chaotic life I left behind.

After having my own children, I became very angry with my mother. I don’t understand how she could put me and my siblings through the turmoil. My children are my life and I lavish my love on each of them. So as far as I was concerned, my children would group up a safe distance from the alcoholism that permeated so much of my life.

Recently, my sister set up a Facebook account. I was now able to reconnect with her and hopefully redeem all those years lost between us. I love her just as much now as I did when I went to college and am thoroughly excited to see her in a couple weeks!

0 comments: