What Does It Take to Be a Dad?

Something our pastor said over the weekend has stuck with me. I have heard it before, but for some reason it pricked my heart:

Dad's have a tremendous responsibility, because they shape the way their children view God as their 'Father'

Here it is 10:30 PM at night and I am finally getting a break. I woke up at 7 AM and got ready for work. Went to work and ate lunch there. Stayed at work until my family picked me up after which we went to the mall to spend some of our Old Navy gift card money from Christmas. Came home to a disaster in the kitchen with cake crumbs and dirty dishes everywhere (a clear indication that my wife had a rough day with the kids). I took care of the baby while my wife took a break and then I cleaned until it was family devotional time. All the while, keeping the sprinklers going outside. After our Bible study, I helped the middle one brush her teeth and get ready for bed. By the time she was ready, my wife needed help in the bedroom setting up the humidifier, getting ice, etc. Before it was all said and done it was 10 PM!

Needless to say, I am exhausted. By the time I actually get time to myself, I am miserable and worn out. The last part of my day is the worse for my kids (and wife) because I have nothing more to give than shear irritability from being needed so much.

So how do you provide a clear example of God's patience and tirelessness as a Father when you are only human?

0 comments: