Lover Face


So we've talked about the King & the Warrior face in our search for authentic manhood. The next face is probably the most difficult for men and that is the Lover Face.  It is associated with tender sensitivity and emotional openess. Here's a couple of scenarios that come to mind:
  • A man who gives up a pre-planned night with a friend because his wife is at the end of her rope with the children.
  • Let's go of a business deal to spend time at home
  • A student to his kid's needs emotionally and physically.
Don't get me wrong: we all need our down time. But if down time is all you are, then you missed the mark. In 1 Thessalonians 2, Paul paints a picture of a tender warrior:
But we were gentle among you, like a nursing mother taking care of her own children. So, being affectionately desirous of you, we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us. For you remember, brothers, our labor and toil: we worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you, while we proclaimed to you the gospel of God.
We see that Paul's heart ached to be with the congregation in Thessalonica and while he was there, they were sensitive enough to avoid being a burden.

Dark Side

Of course the Lover Face is not without its flaws or distortions.
  • Too Much - Becomes a micro manager; comments on everything; notices too much
  • Too Little - Isolated; Withdrawn; No relational capactity.

Personally

I find the Lover Face the easiest of them all, which is ironic because the Warrior Face is the hardest for me. On any given day, you will find me kissing, hugging, & loving my children from head to toe (as long as they let me).  I thoroughly enjoying writing personal cards instead of buying store bought ones. I have an entire playlist of music dedicated to love songs that remind me of my wife. And while I am not always on target, I try my best to be sensitive and aware of how life is affecting my family.

My take away is that I really need to work on balancing this with the other faces, especially the Warrior one.

0 comments: